Saturday 27 June 2009

It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Tomorrow I expect all the charts will be filled with Michael Jackson hits. A fitting tribute for a man who was musically talented and lucky to have worked with some of the greats in the business.
On the BBC news last night, Mica Paris and David was-once-kid Jensen were discussing his music and it was suggested that in 100 years people would still listen to Jackson but not Elvis. Hmm, well I am not sure I agree with that.
I grew up with the sounds of Michael Jackson and Elvis among many others. I saw Jackson at Wembley Arena and that was the last time I adored him. He was distant and I was just a speck among his many fans. The Michael I knew had sung softly, sweetly and intimately to me via my radio and the first album I bought - Thriller. The live experience just didn't work for me. He was also the sound of my youth and as I grew older, other stronger tastes developed.
Even in my lifetime, the way we consume music has changed dramatically. The personal listening experience really took off with my first Walkman giving me an universe filled with the sounds of the Boss, Ross, Goss, Cohen, Waits, ska, reggae, soul and rock. Unfortunately, passersby had to endure the tinny sound coming out my earphones that is so commonplace in any public place.
I was limited to the music I could get from Camden market, Our Price, HMV, Woolies, WH Smiths, and Virgin. The current generation have itunes, spotify, lastfm, myspace and so many other ways to get to access vast amounts of material. We aren't limited to the mega stars the record companies shove in our faces.
So, will Jacko be listened to 100 years from now. I think so. People will probably even manage to attend his concerts virtually (they brought Frank Sinatra back to the stage so why not Jackson). And as for Elvis, well I Just Can't Help Believin' that people will also be humming along to his dulcet tones.

No comments: