Tuesday 31 January 2012

Pre-school sorted

Well, we are feeling mighty happy today as we have found a nursery place for our 4 year old. She's only been out of nursery since the end of December...but this holiday has gone on far too long for me! I love looking after her but I do value the few hours a day when she goes off to learn in the guise of play.
When we came to view this house, the agent told us many parents wanted to live in the area thanks to a highly regarded nursery/primary school. Obviously, mid year there were NO places at that school so the council gave us the option of a morning place at a Roman Catholic school or an afternoon one at a playgroup.
Hubby is not a Roman Catholic but was ambivalent about sending our kid to a R.C. school for fear that she would be made anti-Protestant. This sectarian thing is a bit complicated like that. Me, the Hindu, could not care less so it was a good thing the lovely lady at the council assured us the nursery was non-denominational.
We visited the playgroup and left feeling it was more suitable to younger children or those who had not been to nursery before. As our daughter will be heading to primary school this year, we felt a school environment was more appropriate. Today we visited the R.C. school - walked in to face a mural of the Saint the school is named for, and then past a wall display of the Papal visit, past sweet kids waiting to do P.E. into a bright and cheerful nursery. The teacher was very nice and not at all nun like ...probably as she wasn't one. After an initial shyness, our daughter spent our visit banging on a huge drum and generally very happy...at the end of the day that's the important thing. As soon as I got home, we sorted it out with the Council and now, I'm crossing fingers that she will be able to start soon. And phew for me....I'm well behind on my crafty-pursuits. Sorry I meant on my cleaning of course.

No comments: